Does fashion really suck right now???
Having dinner with my girlfriend on Friday night made me jot down her most awesome, and frank quote..."Fashion sucks right now! Ruffles everywhere, terrible colors, and OVER these cold shoulder everythings!"
So as we are all trying to stay warm this January, and our spring issue of Vogue lands in our mailbox, how do we navigate through all of this fashion confusion? Everyone is cleansing, purging, setting goals, making lists, blah blah blah. I really didn't want to post anything about spring fashion until the beginning of February but when the topic came up over dinner, I thought many of you out there felt the same way.
Here's the deal. I don't want to ever tell you how to dress. I believe in self expression through clothing. But I do attend national markets in footwear and ready-to-wear, that talk about trends of upcoming seasons. I am more of a reporter. I do know that Midwesterners are sensible and I think have a pretty good skill on how to interpret the trends in a "sensible" way.
So here is what I know......
- Get ready to have your denim collection turned upside down! I will talk about this in more depth in an upcoming denim blog, but just know that a VERY hot trend of Levis is changing the jean model.
- Cold shoulders will be going away, but not entirely. They are kind of morphing into a different bare shoulder trend. Off the shoulder, or detached sleeve if you will.
- Bubble gum pastels are everywhere, and a little goes a long way.
- I think shoes are fresh and fun this season! Sneakers remain uber popular and slides are EVERYWHERE. Again, more shoe talk in a later post, but consider footwear this spring as the lazy man's season.
- If you haven't done so already, start doing those crunches. Tops are getting shorter. We worked diligently to find a balance from our vendors, but the task was difficult.
- Matching jog sets are cool again.
- And yes, there are ruffles. On sleeves, bodices, and pant legs. It is possible to wear these in a grown up way, not so much like the Simone Rocha spring runway show. One word,,,,balance.
We're here to help this season, and make sense of a few of past decades all rolled into one! Because I NEVER think fashion should suck!