Memorial Day has always been considered the official kick off to summer, even though your yearly calendar says differently. And lately, the weather has been lying to us. But do not despair, if you have lived in the Midwest long enough, you know you have your 3 beautiful days in May, and then the humidity settles in. You might as well get ready, and your closet should be ready too!
Which brings me to the topic of this journal, Summer Essentials. If you haven't gone through your closet yet, you should probably make that a priority. And if you don't have these items IN your closet, then that is your next priority!
1. Day dress - If you haven't noticed, shorts are taking a back seat to dresses these days. They are cooler and it's nice not to worry about what cute top to wear. Bright colors are best to show off a summer tan, and the more whimsical the print, the better!
2. Birkenstock sandals - Fashion is such a cyclical beast! Did you think that you would be wearing these again, or your daughters would be raiding your closet for your pair from college?!? The more unique the better. It's not like wearing your habana Arizona this time around...Color color color!
3. White denim - It is true that whitish denim is becoming seasonless, but in summer no questions are asked :) If you need a little update, choose a style that has a frayed hem or is slightly distressed overall.
4. Off the shoulder tops - There is no part of the body that is getting attention like shoulders these days! Cold shoulder tops continue, but the latest attraction is the off the shoulder look. Slightly boho, sometimes dressy, the common denominator with this look is a good exfoliator and a self tanner :)
5. Slides - Open toe or closed toe is an option, having a back is not. I love it when a trend is easy. I also love it when a trend gives allows me the freedom to NOT have perfect toes! Let's face it, life gets busy.
6. Espadrilles - Nothing spells summer more than a pair of espadrilles. Low heel or high, ankle wrap or pump, the constant is the jute wrapped bottom. Perfect with everything summer from dresses to cutoff shorts, chicly European. Every time I slip on a pair, visions of blue waters and tapas dance in my head.
I viewed the first collection for Spring 2013 on Thursday, from Andre Assous. We are developing a loyal Andre following and don't want to disappoint for next year. As we look into that crystal ball of colors, we try to pick the trend right hue all the way from Milan to Moline! .