Why do girls wear dresses? Way back in history, dress wearing originally had to do with religion, views about barbaric cultures, health concerns, and an illustration of abundance and wealth.
Fast forward to 2015. These days, during the warm summer months, there are as many dresses being worn as shorts. These are carefree and casual. They move gently in the breeze. Their outings are barbecues, farmer's markets, music festivals, and days at the beach. There is not one element of pretentiousness. Bare arms and legs, sex appeal couldn't be more demure. Mini or maxi, tall or short, they all have their place.
The summer dress has partners in crime....layered necklaces, flip flops, wedges, sunglasses, and maybe even a fake (or real) tattoo.
I often wonder if men are jealous. After all, they wore skirts first. (Mel Gibson in Braveheart). I think men want to wear dresses; we wanted to wear pants. And I think we will see more dresses. Because really, they're great. THERE'S NOTHING TO MATCH. I guess fashion equality should go both ways.
Ready for your input.......
Well, as the temperature rises above 90 here in the midwest, I guess it's safe to say summer is finally here. The question is,,,,,,is your wardrobe ready?!?!?! Our mission is to make your life easier, so if there are some definite voids off the list below, come see us (and fast!). We don't want you looking all "LY" at your friends BBQ or any one of the many music fest in the midwest! Here we go - - - - -
1. Boyfriend jean - preferably light denim and with destruction. Everyone has their own level of "holy tolerance", but stick your toe in the water please.
2. Wedges - what's great about wedges this year, and what seems to be the ongoing trend for spring 2016, is that there is barely any pitch to the elevation! So the balls of your feet don't hurt; just uber long legs to pair with the next staple, FLARES.
3. Flares - I didn't say bootcuts, I said flares! Higher waist, and wonderful, proportionately wide, flare bottoms. Ideal for summer in a light color and with two front patch pockets. And please don't show us anything more than those perfectly pedicured toes (your color choice), underneath those flares. For more guidelines on this, read our last blog.
4. Sneakers - cool sneakers are the way of the future. I'm not talking about those Nikes that you wear with your workout gear.,,,,,I mean the kind that completes a cool denim look or possibly joggers.
5. Birkenstocks - there is not a more universal trend that is happening right now! Young and old, the 150 year old company couldn't be more popular. Simply a must have for summer......and for fall, actually. Choose the more streamlined Gizeh or chunkier, Arizona. The key is to not look like circa 1980 when wearing them (yes, another one of our blogs).
6. Summer dress - cool and flowing, capped sleeve or sleeveless, solid or print.....not a lot of rules here, just have one! Dresses have become a summer staple because they are cool, easy to pack, and there's nothing to match. It's just you and your dress!
Of course, there's other things you should have, but these are some core items. Sunglasses, something turquoise, hoops, adhesive tattoos (maybe), sunscreen, and the list goes on...... Stop in, we'll get you ready for your next summer weekend or vacation!
There is an old saying that goes “everything old becomes new again,” and in the case of one of this summer’s biggest trends, truer words may never have been spoken.
Birkenstocks. Yep, fashion’s comeback kid is back and bigger than ever. Birkenstocks were sent down the runways of some of high-fashion heavy hitters (i.e. Celine, Marc Jacobs) and now fashionistas and celebrities alike are jumping on the German comfort bandwagon. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love the idea of a shoe trend conceived out of comfort and with built-in arch support?
However, let’s not get carried away completely by the word comfort. After all, these are not your mother’s Birkenstocks. To make this look work for the here and now, you need to pay serious attention to styling. Forget their hippie roots, the way to style these sandals now is anything but dowdy! Simply put, you shouldn’t throw on your Birks with your bootcut jeans and your peasant blouses without fear of looking like an extra from the set of ‘Dazed and Confused’. When styled correctly the Birkenstock sandals clean design and simple lines add an element of casual elegance and sophistication to your wardrobe.
This time around, fashionistas in the know are pairing their casual sandals with more structured ensembles, such as a sheath dress or a fitted button down and slacks. Try pairing your Birks with a pencil skirt and tee, or perhaps cigarette pants and a blazer, for a look that is easy and yet still pulled together. This season, opposites attract with the sporty Birkenstock sandal and dressier clothing options. Basically, sub your Birkenstock into any situation for which you might normally wear wedges or heels, and ta-da, a look that is totally cool and modern.
Another styling option is to pair your Birkenstocks with more casual pieces that you wish to elevate. Distressed denim and a tee suddenly looks much more modern when paired with Birkenstocks and statement jewels, as opposed to sneakers or flip-flops. A pair of metallic Birks with boyfriend jeans, a chunky necklace, and a slinky tank are all you need for a night out on the town this season! When pairing your Birkenstocks with denim be sure to keep all of the other elements of the look tailored and neat, balance is the key to keeping this trend current
All this being said, fashion is all about rocking your own personal taste and making a look your own. Use these words as inspiration to experiment and try new things. Whether pairing your Birkenstocks with jeans or a dress, a sporty look or more preppy pieces; anything goes! Mix and match, blend high and low, and above all: HAVE FUN!